Subject: Re: bug#40142: (guix cve) discards configuration "vendor", leading to false positives

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 12:38:16 +0200

Hi,

Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]> skribis:

> It looks like, for most free software the name of the software is used
> as
>  the vendor too, but I'm guessing that's not always the case in
> particular
>  when two project are using the same name. So we can't just filter the
>  entries where the vendor name isn't the name of the package or we could
>  end up with false negatives which seems worse than false positive for a
>  vulnerability checker.

Yeah.

> One solution would be to display the name of the vendor when it doesn't
> correspond to the name of the package. Such solution would still output
> false positives but at least it will be quicker to identify then as
> such,
> compared to looking up and reading trough each CVE.

Yes, though I think that (guix cve) should simply preserve the vendor
part, and leave it up to its user, ‘guix lint’, to display vendor
mismatches.

Thanks,
Ludo’.