Subject: bug#40140: 26.3; Renaming a directory with an external tool

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:25:16 +0200

Tomas Nordin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> 5) Get back to Emacs. Attempt to write file from Emacs, minibuffer in 
>> the bottom shows: "Please answer y or n. Directory 
>> '/home/nicolas/elixir_learn/mastery/test/support/tmp/' does not exist; 
>> create? (y or n)"
>
> If you try this experiment with any other text editor I think you will
> see similar effects. I tried with gedit and vim and got the
> corresponding effects.

I don't really think there's anything reasonable Emacs can do (by
itself) in these cases -- what should happen here depends on each
individual case (the tree is totally gone; it's moved somewhere else;
etc), so that has to be left to the user, like Tomas says:

> Using Emacs in this case I would do C-x C-w and then navigate to the
> existing directory, then one with the new name tmp2. Then I will have to
> allow over-writing the copy of test.ex on disc in tmp2.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no