Subject: bug#40123: glibc-locales: links missing in root user profile

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 19:18:37 +0100

Tje Mikael,

Mikael Djurfeldt <[email-masked]> writes:

> To reproduce the bug:
>
> * install guix on top of an ordinary linux distribution using the install
> script at guix.gnu.org
>
> * install glibc-locales as root
>
> Expected:
>
> There should be a link ~root/.guix-profile/lib/locales

That should be ~root/.guix-profile/lib/locale (note the singular).

This directory actually comes pre-populated with a small subset of UTF-8
locales when using the binary installation method like the script does,
so it's odd if you don't find anything there.

Which distribution are you on, and how do you become root?  Is the $HOME
variable set to root's home directory when you are in a root shell?

To figure out where the package gets installed, try running this
command:

find /var/guix/profiles -name sv_SE.utf8 -type d