Subject: Re: bug#40116: GDM: Memory leak in .gnome-shell-real process

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 18:08:17 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hi sirgazil,
>
> sirgazil via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> I can't use GNOME anymore because of the problem I explained in the following thread:
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-02/msg00206.html
>>
>> On recent system upgrades, the problem got worse. Before, I could get to the end of the day despite the leak; but now it takes around 3 hours for the .gnome-shell-real process run by the gdm user to eat the remaining RAM.
>
> Ouch.
>
>> It seems that the bug is stronger in the GNOME desktop, but I've seen, at least once, .gnome-shell-real using an abnormal amount of RAM while in sway (about 800 MiB).
>
> Could you check if it happens in a VM?  That is, you build your GNOME
> config with ‘guix system vm’, try to do some activity in the VM, and
> check in top whether ‘gnome-shell’ is growing.

That looks like an upstream problem

    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/64

are we going to investigate backporting a fix?

janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com