Subject: bug#40098: 26.3; Emacs on Windows freezes when connecting to freeBSD host with Plink

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 11:09:55 +0100

Matthew Grice <[email-masked]> writes:

> Good afternoon all,

Hi Matthew,

> When attempting to edit a file over ssh using Plink (Emacs is running
> on Windows 10), the connecting spinner spins forever. To replicate:
>
> C-x C-f /plink:matt@myfreebsdhost:~/ <TAB to get list of files in dired>
>
> Emacs then starts to hog the CPU and has to be forced to close from
> the Task Manager.
>
> I have no problems connecting to my Slackware production server using
> this configuration.
>
> I appreciate that the Windows platform might be unsupported but I
> thought I'd raise the bug anyway.

This sounds like bug#39399 <https://debbugs.gnu.org/39399>. Could you,
pls, install the recent Tramp 2.4.3.2 from GNU ELPA, and check whether
it works for you? I see you have deleted Tramp 2.4.3.1. This didn't
contain the relevant patch yet.

> Regards,
> Matt Grice

Best regards, Michael.