Subject: bug#40097: 28.0.50; Preferred font ignored for specific charset

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 19:12:33 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 07:31:02 +0300
>> 
>> When there is some particular charset property on text, Emacs chooses
>> to render it using font that has matching encoding, such as:
>> 
>> x:-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1251 (#xEF)
>> 
>> for windows-1251 charset rather than the default font:
>> 
>> ftcrhb:-PfEd-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
>> 
>> even though the default (unicode) font does support corresponding
>> characters.
>
> Can you show all the fonts on your system that have microsoft-cp1251
> as their registry/encoding?  AFAIK, this is done with xlsfonts.

Sure:

$ xlsfonts | grep cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-o-normal--0-0-72-72-c-0-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-o-normal--12-120-72-72-c-60-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-o-normal--14-140-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-o-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-o-normal--18-180-72-72-c-100-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-o-normal--20-200-72-72-c-100-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-o-normal--22-220-72-72-c-110-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-o-normal--24-240-72-72-c-120-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-o-normal--28-280-72-72-c-140-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-o-normal--32-320-72-72-c-160-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal--0-0-72-72-c-0-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal--12-120-72-72-c-60-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal--14-140-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal--18-180-72-72-c-100-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal--20-200-72-72-c-100-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal--22-220-72-72-c-110-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal--24-240-72-72-c-120-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal--28-280-72-72-c-140-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-bold-r-normal--32-320-72-72-c-160-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-o-normal--0-0-72-72-c-0-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-o-normal--12-120-72-72-c-60-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-o-normal--14-140-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-o-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-o-normal--18-180-72-72-c-100-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-o-normal--20-200-72-72-c-100-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-o-normal--22-220-72-72-c-110-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-o-normal--24-240-72-72-c-120-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-o-normal--28-280-72-72-c-140-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-o-normal--32-320-72-72-c-160-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--0-0-72-72-c-0-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--12-120-72-72-c-60-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--14-140-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--18-180-72-72-c-100-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--20-200-72-72-c-100-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--22-220-72-72-c-110-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--24-240-72-72-c-120-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--28-280-72-72-c-140-microsoft-cp1251
-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--32-320-72-72-c-160-microsoft-cp1251
terminus-cp1251-12
terminus-cp1251-14
terminus-cp1251-16
terminus-cp1251-18
terminus-cp1251-20
terminus-cp1251-22
terminus-cp1251-24
terminus-cp1251-28
terminus-cp1251-32
terminus-cp1251-bold-12
terminus-cp1251-bold-14
terminus-cp1251-bold-16
terminus-cp1251-bold-18
terminus-cp1251-bold-20
terminus-cp1251-bold-22
terminus-cp1251-bold-24
terminus-cp1251-bold-28
terminus-cp1251-bold-32

-- Sergey