Subject: bug#40074: trilinos-serial-xyce source disappeared

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:38:02 +0200

Dear,

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 at 13:48, Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The source URI for 'trilios-serial-xyce' serves a 404 page.  Following
> download links from the home page only leads to the git repository.
>
> This package should probably be changed to download a tagged git
> revision instad of attempting to fetch a defunct tarball.
>
> ci.guix.gnu.org has a copy of the previous source tarball so it's not
> very urgent (anyone coming here can add "--fallback" to their guix
> invokation to get it).

The commit 74cb33c22818b25d1b9c6d576352fc8249832d34 [1] transitioned
from ’url-fetch’ to ’git-fetch’ for missing upstream (even disappeared
one).   I am proposing similar strategy:

First patch, replace ’url-fetch’ by ’git-fetch’ with creating a Git repo
from the build farm tarball and falling back to SWH.  This does not
change the integrity checksum.  And it avoids the “pressure“ on the
build farm.

Second patch, update the upstream source to the new good ’git-fetch’.
And this change the integrity checksum.  Maybe upstream released a new
version.

WDYT?

1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/43426>

All the best,
simon