Subject: bug#40072: Incorrect escaping on MinGW 32-bit

From: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 14:11:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 10:48 AM Jeffrey Walton <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 9:59 AM Bob Friesenhahn
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2020, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>>> ...
>> Maybe libtool can do the same. Supply a small C program, compile it
>> and call it from the libtool scripts. Its would be quite easy to
>> supply the path in argv[1], and get back either (1) the original name
>> (no spaces), (2) a short file name or (3) a quoted long file name. If
>> the path gets split and shows up in pieces across argv[1]...argv[n-1],
>> then just combine the pieces because you know what is supposed to
>> happen.
>
> Bob, see what you think about a program like the one attached. The C
> code will be messier, but it is the same concept.

This seems like a good idea but it does not address the problem that 
Autoconf and Automake can not currently support paths with spaces in 
them.

If a path is encoded so that it does not appear to contain a space, 
then it is wise to remember that paths are saved in various places and 
used in various ways.  Some of these paths may be baked into the 
library or program.

Microsoft Windows does provide an API in order to obtain an 
obfusticated short name or convert it to the normal path.  This was 
needed in order for Windows 95 (and earlier) programs to be able to 
handle long file names.

Bob
-- 
Bob Friesenhahn
[email-masked], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
GraphicsMagick Maintainer,    http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt