Subject: Re: bug#40071: Cross-compiled package closure size.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 17:47:53 +0200

Hi Mathieu,

On dim., 15 mars 2020 at 12:31, Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> wrote:

> mathieu@elbruz ~/guix [env]$ guix size /gnu/store/14ygibryjr7mcly0q9mb8306hlg16nhq-hello-2.10
> store item                                                       total    self
> /gnu/store/vm2gaw5jk1zr1x9qzj4z52qjxvrh0nk9-glibc-cross-aarch64-linux-gnu-2.31   158.9    71.4  38.2%
> /gnu/store/w00jb174abikqpznadwzvvgwl3r7qfzd-glibc-2.31              38.4    36.7  19.6%
> /gnu/store/08vqg0s77dnff7rz90b0h87n2rfyaszg-gcc-7.5.0-lib           71.0    32.6  17.5%
> /gnu/store/vqsixs9ks4chpjynhizkpdd1gdshv87h-gcc-cross-aarch64-linux-gnu-7.5.0-lib   186.8    27.9  14.9%
> /gnu/store/fgrpk8r46k34pyqv6xkbi8gbv997dbpx-gcc-cross-sans-libc-aarch64-linux-gnu-7.5.0-lib    80.8     9.8   5.2%
> /gnu/store/zf5603c5l6ilgyg35gqfkn82v3k9hbri-linux-libre-headers-cross-aarch64-linux-gnu-5.4.20     5.1     5.1   2.7%
> /gnu/store/6hhsxa3vvbh8gvcfjw4k5sfk1qrhkcrf-bash-static-5.0.16       1.6     1.6   0.9%
> /gnu/store/nvc3r588745kkj159lm1pa4xz5g99rqd-bash-static-5.0.16       1.6     1.6   0.9%
> /gnu/store/14ygibryjr7mcly0q9mb8306hlg16nhq-hello-2.10             187.0     0.2   0.1%

Well, using Guix 729ce5f, the situation is sadly similar,

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
7$ guix size $(guix build hello --target=aarch64-linux-gnu)
store item                                                       total    self
/gnu/store/fhnvh4qw8ln2i83pfhlccivwxma89q4x-glibc-cross-aarch64-linux-gnu-2.33    48.1    46.4  30.8%
/gnu/store/5h2w4qi9hk1qzzgi1w83220ydslinr4s-glibc-2.33              38.3    36.6  24.3%
/gnu/store/094bbaq6glba86h1d4cj16xhdi6fk2jl-gcc-10.3.0-lib          71.7    33.4  22.1%
/gnu/store/a8i28a0wjpfw40jiz3xdigkpwwdmfcrb-gcc-cross-aarch64-linux-gnu-10.3.0-lib   150.5    30.7  20.4%
/gnu/store/4f304c7dp68hkcp1zi1i07zm8nfvvyp7-bash-static-5.1.8        1.7     1.7   1.1%
/gnu/store/720rj90bch716isd8z7lcwrnvz28ap4y-bash-static-5.1.8        1.7     1.7   1.1%
/gnu/store/rys78r4j72zh45xchq87x2y30ya8mzvi-hello-2.12.1           150.7     0.2   0.1%
total: 150.7 MiB
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> The native glibc, gcc-lib and one of the two bash-static packages should
> be removed.

What is the next step to tackle that?

For reference,

> [1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2020-03/msg00170.html

<http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/40071>

Cheers,
simon