Subject: bug#4004: filename completion

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:53:38 -0400

> There was a discussion about some years ago, when I did add Tramp's
> autoloads. People were annoyed, that even after typing something like
> "/a" in the minibuffer, Tramp was already loaded, which raised some
> delays. So it was suggested to make Tramp's autoloading optional. It was
> even requested that this "optionality" should not be something, which
> the user has to disnable herself; users should not be bashed by a new
> feature they are not interested in.

That's beginning to make more sense.  But I just tried the following:

   emacs -Q
   C-x C-f /a TAB :

and then

   emacs -Q
   M-: (setq partial-completion-mode t)
   C-x C-f /a TAB :

and I don't see any difference (Tramp gets loaded when I hit : and no
earlier).  Could you show me another example where I can see
the difference, so I can better understand the tradeoffs?

        Stefan