Subject: bug#4004: filename completion

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 14:37:15 -0400

>>> Have you enabled partial-completion-mode, which is needed for Tramp
>>> sometimes?
>> 
>> Note that partial-completion-mode is on the way out, so if you need
>> partial-completion-mode to make it work, it's important to know it.

> I must check the code, but IIRC partial-completion-mode is just an
> indication for Tramp whether some file name completion functionality
> shall be enabled, before Tramp is fully loaded. There were people who
> disliked Tramp's file name completion.

Then this needs to be fixed.  Looking at the code, I can't quite
understand what it does: it seems that Tramp's method/user/host
completion is only activated for people you use either
partial-completion-mode, ido, icycle, or XEmacs.  I'm not sure what's
the logic behind it, but I'd rather just activate it based on a specific
configuration variable (or just always activate it, as you do in
XEmacs).  In Emacs-23, the functionality that was previous offered by
partial-completion-mode is enabled by default (tho implemented
differently and activated differently as well).

        Stefan