Subject: Re: [bug#40035] Add widelands game

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 09:01:28 +0200

Hello,

Jonathan Brielmaier <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 18.06.20 23:22, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I integrated the previous suggestions. I am not sure about the version
>> string. Upstream seems to use "build-20", and most distributions use
>> "20", some use "build20" or "b20". I used "build20" because it makes it
>> easier to build the download URL.
>
> Couldn't we just use the most recent tag on Github?
> https://github.com/widelands/widelands/releases/tag/bzr9203

Despite its name, "build-20" is the official stable release. OTOH,
I don't know what "bzr9203" is.

Considering the game is still under active development, I think we
should stick to the stable release.

>> +    (description
>> +     "Widelands is a real-time strategy game with singleplayer campaigns and
>> +multiplayer mode, aiming for gameplay similar to Settlers II by BlueByte.
>> +
>> +In this game, you start out on a small piece of land with nothing more than
>> +a few of useful resources.  Using those, you can build yourself an empire with
>> +many thousands of inhabitants.  On your way towards this goal, you will have
>> +to build up an economic infrastructure, explore the lands around you and face
>> +enemies who are trying to rule the world just like you do.")
>
> Are we allowed to just copy descriptions from Debian packages? Is this
> license compatible?

Good question. I think copying Debian's description is fine, although it
may be nicer to add a comment explaining where it was "borrowed". But
I am also curious to know what other developers think about it.

In the current case, however, I think Debian's description is more or
a less a glorified rewording of the documentation. IOW, I don't think
there is anything to claim authorship on.

We can change it nonetheless. What about the following excerpt from
upstream?

    In Widelands, you are the regent of a small clan. You start out with
    nothing but your headquarters, where all your resources are stored.

    In the course of the game, you will build an ever growing
    settlement. Every member of your clan will do his or her part to
    produce more resources---wood, food, iron, gold and more---to
    further this growth. The economic network is complex and different
    in the four tribes (Barbarians, Empire, Atlanteans, and Frisians).

    As you are not alone in the world, you will meet other clans sooner or
    later. Some of them may be friendly and you may eventually trade with
    them. However, if you want to rule the world, you will have to train
    soldiers and fight.

    Widelands offers single-player mode with different campaigns; the
    campaigns all tell stories of tribes and their struggle in the Widelands
    universe! However, settling really starts when you unite with friends
    over the Internet or LAN to build up new empires together---or to crush
    each other in the dusts of war. Widelands also offers an Artificial
    Intelligence to challenge you.

Thank you for the review,

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou