Subject: bug#40028: 28.0.50; Connection to git times out

From: John <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 17:13:20 +0000

For the last couple of days I have been unable to update emacs master
branch.  

xenakis:~/GNU/emacs> git pull
fatal: read error: Connection timed out

the delay is significant -- over 15 minutes

On the other hand I can ping git.sv.gnu.org (209.51.188.201)
Is this a problem at your end or mine?

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 68, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.32, cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2020-03-09 built on xenakis
Repository revision: 3b6cea211fc61634db8dc165350e0d8498876a89
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: openSUSE Leap 15.1

Recent messages:
Loading mailalias...done
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
Saving file /home/jpff/.mailrc...
Reset aliases variable
Wrote /home/jpff/.mailrc
Local Ispell dictionary set to british
Parsing /home/jpff/.mailrc... done
Making completion list...
Loading dired-add...done

Configured using:
 'configure --without-gnutls'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG CAIRO SOUND GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 XDBE XIM
MODULES THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date subr-x seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader feedmail face-remap mailabbrev
flyspell mailalias mailcrypt mail-extr comint ansi-color ring ispell
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
novice help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace help-mode
find-func misearch multi-isearch cl-seq vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cl-loaddefs cl-lib delsel cus-start cus-load
image-file crypt crypt++ crypt+pgp-pub paren view mule-util cal-china
cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew cal-julian lunar solar cal-dst appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu easymenu
calendar cal-loaddefs time tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 117687 7662)
 (symbols 48 13038 2)
 (strings 32 36682 549)
 (string-bytes 1 1329518)
 (vectors 16 18744)
 (vector-slots 8 291294 12918)
 (floats 8 537 770)
 (intervals 56 1586 128)
 (buffers 1000 18))

==John ffitch