Subject: [bug#40016] [PATCH] inferior: Distinguish inferior exceptions.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 18:30:48 +0100

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This avoids ambiguities when looking at a backtrace where the exception
> was actually thrown by an inferior in a very different context.

The idea was suggested at the Guix Days by someone who had had a hard
time looking at one of these weird backtraces, until you realize the
exception was actually thrown by another process.

There are a few places in the Data Service that do things like:

  (catch 'misc-error
    (lambda ()
      (inferior-eval …))
    …)

This will have to be adjusted.  Does that work for you, Chris?

If you want to go fancy, you can implement a compatibility later, though
I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Eventually I’d like ‘&inferior-exception’ to include inferior stack
frames, though that’ll require changes to the REPL protocol.

Ludo’.