Subject: bug#40006: closed (Re: bug#40006: [core-updates] Merge wip-hurd)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 14:09:02 +0000

Your bug report

#40006: [core-updates] Merge wip-hurd

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
40006: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40006
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#40006: [core-updates] Merge wip-hurd
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 15:08:42 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Efraim Flashner writes:

>> Next up is to work towards getting a bootable guix image for the Hurd
>> and other porting work in the Debian VM.
>> 
>> See:
>> 
>>     https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix/-/blob/wip-hurd-system/THE-HURD
>> 
>> but that's a whole other stage of effort, I'm tempted to close this bug
>> and open a new one (or two?) for that.  WYDT?
>
> There's bootstrap binaries now existing, I'd say that counts as merging
> in Hurd support.
>
> Congrats!

Thank you => closing.
janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com

Subject: [core-updates] Merge wip-hurd
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 09:48:05 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix'y supporters of the Hurd,

This is a follow-up to a discussion on guix-devel
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-03/msg00081.html to
keep track of merging recent work for the Hurd by Efraim and others
that started on the Guix Days @fosdem20

    https://gitlab.com/Efraim/guix  @wip-hurd-bootstrap

The `wip-hurd' branch @savannah has now been reset* and now contains a
set of patches that allow for Hurd development, either by building
packages natively or by cross-building.

Most interesting here are the hurd bootstrap binaries and patches to get
through "commencement".  Efraim built a first set of bootstrap binaries
but I found we at least need some minimal set of glibc patches

    glibc-hurd-clock_t_centiseconds.patch
    glibc-hurd-clock_gettime_monotonic.patch
    glibc-hurd-signal-sa-siginfo.patch

which I added and so I built a new set.  While this mostly works, we may
want to look at/include more patches from the Debian glibc delta

    https://salsa.debian.org/glibc-team/glibc/-/tree/glibc-2.31/debian/patches/hurd-i386

...but how to choose?

This patch series may be especially interesting as I have been also
using a number of hacks to get to build `hello' natively, avoiding
failing/hanging tests here and there

    HACK gnu: acl: Add patches for the Hurd, disable tests.
    HACK gnu: gettext-minimal: Expect test-raise test to fail on the Hurd.
    HACK gnu: check: Skip hanging tests on the Hurd.
    HACK gnu: guile: Disable tests on Hurd.
    HACK gnu: coreutils: Disable tests on Hurd.

I haven't re-evaluated the need for these yet after my last glibc
patches and I haven't included these on the wip-hurd branch; these live
on wip-hurd-system on my gitlab

    https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix  @wip-hurd-system

That's also where my scratchbook on the Hurd lives

   https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix/-/blob/wip-hurd-system/THE-HURD

As discussed on guix-devel, we need to build gnumach-headers and
hurd-headers from a tarball release.  Initially I tried the latest
official releases but they are too old.  So I have created unofficial
source tarballs for Gnumach and Hurd tarball by running `make dist' on
the a git checkout on the Debian Hurd and uploaded them here

    http://lilypond.org/janneke/hurd

wip-hurd is branched off core-updates about two weeks ago; I will now
start with rebasing and re-evaluating on latest core-updates.

Greetings,
janneke

*) Everything from Manolis' old wip-hurd since been merged or ported to
   the new wip-hurd.

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com