Subject: bug#40006: 31/31: DRAFT gnu: bootstrap: Add support for the Hurd.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 19:23:52 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:

>> For the sake of reducing complexity and keeping supported systems as
>> close to one another as possible, would it be an option to keep using
>> 2.0 for GNU/Hurd, like on the other systems?
...
>> That would entail changing make-bootstrap.scm to use 2.0 instead of 2.2
>> as a first step.  And yeah, it’d also entail another full rebuild, which
>> I’m sorry for, but I think this kind of simplification pays off quickly.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Yes, let's do that.  I'll also want to look at using gcc-5, that may
> solve our libstdc++-boot0/gcc-boot0 problem.  I think it's weird that we
> build gcc-7 by default as bootstrap binary, while using that may not
> even work (and is certainly untested).

Yes; that worked and it simplifies things a lot.  So, wip-hurd is using
guile-2 and gcc-5 now.  Using gcc-5 allowed me to remove the puzzling
gcc-boot0 patch.

Just reset wip-hurd again; it was fully up to date with core-utils when
I started building the bootstrap-tarballs... Rebasing right now to
verify for a new round ;-)

Greetings,
janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com