Subject: Re: `guix build hello' now succeeds on the Hurd

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 09:59:02 +0100

Ludovic Courtès writes:

>> The situation on the Hurd starts to look pretty good
>>
>>     janneke@debian:~/src/guix$ ./pre-inst-env guix build hello --no-offload
>>     /gnu/store/a2sylb94rm1b6qxcp5mqvgiyx9szipz7-hello-2.10
>>     janneke@debian:~/src/guix$ /gnu/store/a2sylb94rm1b6qxcp5mqvgiyx9szipz7-hello-2.10/bin/hello
>>     Hello, world!
>>
>> \o/
>
> Woohoo!  Congrats!
>
> How do you run guix-daemon?  (In the future it’d be great to perhaps
> implement Linux namespaces on the Hurd in libc.)

I have slightly cleaned-up a patch by Manolis so that I can run

    sudo ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --disable-chroot --build-users-group=guixbuild &

This and other useful recipes I have noted in my scratchbook on the Hurd

   https://gitlab.com/janneke/guix/-/blob/wip-hurd-system/THE-HURD

I briefly looked at more work-in-progress daemon patches by Manolis, but
stopped when I found that it needs [t]his "new" libhurdutils library...
@Manolis?

> Merging what you have—the earlier the better.  :-)
>> Shall I push this to savannah as `wip-hurd' (possibly save wip-hurd->
>> `wip-hurd-old?);
>
> Yup, sounds like a plan.

Great, thanks, done; follow-up here!

    https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=40006
    https://issues.guix.info/issue/40006

>> I could also rewrite wip-hurd-bootstrap?
>
> Dunno!
>
> To me, the difficult bit with porting and bootstrapping work is making
> sure that bootstrap.scm/commencement.scm/base.scm/cross-base.scm remain
> maintainable.  All this complexity adds up so we must spend time trying
> to, for instance, minimize variation across platforms/OSes.  Every line
> of code and above all every conditional avoided in these files is a win
> in the not-so-long term.  That’d be my guideline as we merge it.  :-)
>
> Anyhow, thumbs up!  I’m looking forward to merging it and having it
> built on CI (we could offload to a Debian VM!)!

Yes, that would be awesome!

janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com