Subject: bug#400: 23.0.60; C-h v should pick up lispified name in Customize

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 09:34:20 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> ??? The doc string is displayed by default, fully expanded.  So why
> would you need to "expand" it?  What am I missing?

I believe it is fully expanded by default in `customize-option' but not
in `customize-group'.

>> So I think I would actually appreciate this feature, in particular if it
>> was on `C-h v' because that's what I use everywhere else for variables.
>> Even if it could perhaps be considered a bit "unclean".
>
> Even if I'm missing something above, and you don't see the full doc
> string by default, wouldn't it be better to have a special command in
> the Custom buffer to expand the doc string, than tweak "C-h v" to do
> something special in such cases?

A special command to expand would be useful, I think.

But users might still want an easy way to get the variable into the help
buffer.  For example, they might be using helpful.el that displays all
kinds of additional information in that buffer, or they might just
prefer having a separate buffer to display the documentation.  I'm in
the latter camp; expanding documentation on the customize screen itself
makes it harder to get an overview of all available options, so I often
would rather put the full length docstring in a separate buffer.