Subject: bug#400: [External] : Re: bug#400: 23.0.60; C-h v should pick up lispified name in Customize

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 09:37:59 +0300

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> CC: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>,
>         "[email-masked]"
> 	<[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 21:27:41 +0000
> 
> Eli says this isn't reasonable because the doc is
> already displayed in Customize.  It is displayed
> (though it might be partially hidden), but without
> its _links_.  Being shown there is no substitute
> for *Help*.

And why is that a problem?  Customize is not for people who will look
at the code, Customize is for people who want easy customizations,
which presumes new users.  Any particular reason why would they so
sorely miss what *Help* adds to the doc string?

However, we could extend "C-h v" to take the default from the variable
being customized in the current Custom buffer, if there's nothing
appropriate at point.  Would that be okay?

> I also think that `custom-unlispify-tag-names'
> should be OFF by default.

I disagree, again because this feature targets new users, for whom the
Lisp-style names could very well be confusing and alien.

> The Lisp name is what's useful to users - all
> users.

DISAGREE!!  That's not how this feature is designed to work; your
opinions are noted, but they are against the spirit of Customize.