Subject: bug#400: 23.0.60; C-h v should pick up lispified name in Customize

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 14:02:35 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't see how using "C-h v" in that case is a reasonable use case,
> since the documentation is displayed right below the name of the
> option.
>
> We could perhaps have a help command that recognized names of
> variables in this format, but then it shouldn't be "C-h v", IMO, since
> that command talks about _variables_, whereas a name such as "Info
> Hide Note References" is not a variable name.

I appreciate the merits of this point of view, but at the same time it
would be kind of nice with some DWIM here.

I for one have gone through switching unlispify off, because it is
faster to hit `C-h v RET' (firmly committed to muscle memory) than
fiddling around with however it is you expand the documentation in a
customize buffer; I guess the fastest way is C-a RET TAB TAB TAB (until
point lands on "More") and then RET again.

But then I switched back again, because with the unlispified names I
found it easier to skim the buffer and quickly find what I want...

So I think I would actually appreciate this feature, in particular if it
was on `C-h v' because that's what I use everywhere else for variables.
Even if it could perhaps be considered a bit "unclean".