Subject: Re: bug#400: 23.0.60; C-h v should pick up lispified name in Customize

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 14:26:35 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> emacs -Q
> M-x customize-option Info-hide-note-references
>
> Put the cursor on the unlispified option name:
> Info Hide Note References.
>
> C-h v
>
> The option name is not picked up as the default value.

The command just calls variable-at-point, which doesn't have any
machinery to go from the displayed data to the actual symbol (which
info-look has).

It's trivial to fix (now after bug#41905 was fixed), but I'm not sure at
what level to do that.  The least invasive way to do it would be to just
redefine `C-h v' in Customize buffers, but the way `describe-variable'
is defined would require a refactor of that function.

`variable-at-point' could grow some way to allow it to be parameterised,
for instance via a buffer-local variable-at-point-function, which would
be kinda clean and is how many similar things are handled... 

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no