Subject: bug#39995: closed (Re: bug#39995: 28.0.50; Suboptimal error formatting for missing struct slot)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 13:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#39995: 28.0.50; Suboptimal error formatting for missing struct slot

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39995: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39995
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#39995: 28.0.50; Suboptimal error formatting for missing struct slot
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 15:13:23 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Am Mo., 9. März 2020 um 09:09 Uhr schrieb Philipp Stephani
<[email-masked]>:
>
>
> The following happens at least in Emacs 27, I haven't checked other
> versions.
>
> $ emacs -Q -batch -l backtrace -l cl-lib -l cl-macs -eval '(cl-struct-slot-offset (quote backtrace-frame) (quote foobar))'
> struct %S has no slot %S: backtrace-frame, foobar
>
> This is because the error symbol `cl-struct-unknown-slot' has the
> message "struct %S has no slot %S", but the error system doesn't use the
> message as a format template.  Probably the error message should just be
> "struct has no slot" or so.

Fixed with commit 36873ef2b2.

Subject: 28.0.50; Suboptimal error formatting for missing struct slot
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 09:07:40 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The following happens at least in Emacs 27, I haven't checked other
versions.

$ emacs -Q -batch -l backtrace -l cl-lib -l cl-macs -eval '(cl-struct-slot-offset (quote backtrace-frame) (quote foobar))'
struct %S has no slot %S: backtrace-frame, foobar

This is because the error symbol `cl-struct-unknown-slot' has the
message "struct %S has no slot %S", but the error system doesn't use the
message as a format template.  Probably the error message should just be
"struct has no slot" or so.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 10, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.12, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-02-25
Repository revision: 03c07c88d90b5747456b9d286bace2dd4a713aac
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux rodete

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Source file ‘/home/phst/ThirdParty/emacs/master/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq.el’ newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/home/phst/ThirdParty/emacs/master/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’ newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/home/phst/ThirdParty/emacs/master/lisp/emacs-lisp/rx.el’ newer than byte-compiled file; using older file

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only
 --enable-gtk-deprecation-warnings --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-checking --enable-check-lisp-object-type --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -ggdb3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS FREETYPE HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11
XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils phst skeleton
derived edmacro kmacro pcase ffap thingatpt url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
subr-x rx gnutls puny seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dbus
xml cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 59559 7872)
 (symbols 48 8079 1)
 (strings 32 20894 1643)
 (string-bytes 1 680112)
 (vectors 16 12053)
 (vector-slots 8 164838 5066)
 (floats 8 26 31)
 (intervals 56 196 0)
 (buffers 1000 11))