Subject: bug#39992: Merge external idlwave development efforts into GNU Emacs?

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 08:49:47 -0700

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't use it myself, but I noticed that there is ongoing development
> of idlwave.el here:
>
>     https://github.com/jdtsmith/idlwave
>
> As far as I can tell from the git log, the last change to idlwave by
> JD Smith was on Fri Apr 27 19:34:22 2007 +0000.
>
> Would it be possible to merge this effort into the version distributed
> with GNU Emacs itself?  That way more users could benefit from the
> improvements.

I note that on the GitHub page, there has since been added a note:

    Note: IDLWAVE is currently not maintained. In current form it
    supports IDL v8.6, and is still in daily use by some users.

    If you are interested in taking over IDLWAVE maintenance, please
    post an issue. See the DEVELOP file for information on the file
    structure layout.

I'm not sure what this means for the idlwave we ship with Emacs.

JD Smith, do you mind if someone else tries to on merge your external
development efforts into Emacs itself?