Subject: bug#39980: [PATCH] gnus-shorten-url: Improve and avoid args-out-of-range error

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 16:13:23 +0200

On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 16:38:57 +0300
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> You mean instead of reusing an existing function, fix `gnus-shorten-url'
>> without using it?
>
> Almost: the "existing function" doesn't really exist, you introduced
> it with the same changeset, right?

No, it's the (hopefully) tried and true `ediff-truncate-string-left',
only renamed and moved to subr-x to be generally available. The changes
are cosmetic. It would even be possible (in emacs-27, to avoid moving
anything), to use `ediff-truncate-string-left' unchanged, but that would
require gnus-sum to (require 'ediff-init), which would be crazy. Or make
`ediff-truncate-string-left' a defsubst instead of defun and
(eval-when-compile (require 'ediff-init)) in gnus-sum. That should
actually work :-P

> Both variants of the log message are fine.

Thanks.

-- 
Štěpán