Subject: bug#39965: [PATCH] Add support for multiple gravatar-like services

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 16:04:08 +0100

(please keep [email-masked] in the CC list)

>>>>> On Mon, 09 Mar 2020 15:48:59 +0100, Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> said:

    >> 
    >> If you make this an alist then your cond below becomes just
    >> 'alist-get', and you have the URLS in just one place.

    Philip> That's right, I had already "fixed" that in the next version of the
    Philip> patch, but primarily because libravatar requires a bit more to work
    Philip> correctly than just alist-get.

OK

    Philip> Sadly I cannot send the patch right now, because git-send-email doesn't
    Philip> work from where I am writing.

git format-patch HEAD~ + attaching the result will work as
well, assuming your MUA doesnʼt mangle patches :-)

    >> This is changing the default from gravatar->libravatar, won't that
    >> break stuff?

    Philip> All Gravatar avatars should still be resolved as they have been until
    Philip> now (just via Libravatar's servers). The only user-visible change is
    Philip> that people who just use Libravatar will also have avatar images.

    Philip> If there is too much Resistance towards changing this, it shouldn't be a
    Philip> problem to keep gravatar the default, but as mentioned in the commit
    Philip> message, I think that it is somewhat dubious for *Emacs* to default to a
    Philip> proprietary service.

If the avatars are still resolved, then I think thereʼs no issue with
changing the default (especially considering it wasnʼt configurable
before). Thanks for clarifying.

Robert