Subject: bug#39948: closed (Re: bug#39948: 28.0.50; crash in fchmodat)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2020 20:29:03 +0000

Your bug report

#39948: 28.0.50; crash in fchmodat

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39948: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39948
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#39948: 28.0.50; crash in fchmodat
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Cc: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2020 21:28:10 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sat, 07 Mar 2020 14:43:29 +0100 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'll keep running with this build and if the crash does not happen
> anymore, I'll close the bug later today or tomorrow, unless someone
> wants further testing or clarification.

Closed.

Steve Berman

Subject: 28.0.50; crash in fchmodat
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 15:16:43 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I updated from master today and now Emacs is crashing when I use Gnus.
The first time it happened I been reading news groups for a while, then
email arrived and when I pulled it into Gnus, Emacs crashed.  Then I
restarted Emacs under GDB and now get the crash already on starting Gnus
(with my initializations; it doesn't happen when I start an unconfigured
Gnus in Emacs -Q).  I tried to get a full backtrace, but the output of
`bt full' seemed to be in an endless loop; here's the start of the
backtrace:

Thread 1 "emacs" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x000000000060c9b2 in fchmodat (dir=dir@entry=-100,
    file=file@entry=0x4be6b40 "/home/steve/Mail/unsorted.nov",
    mode=mode@entry=384, flags=flags@entry=0)
    at /home/steve/src/emacs/emacs-master/lib/fchmodat.c:65
65      {
(gdb) bt full
#0  0x000000000060c9b2 in fchmodat
    (dir=dir@entry=-100, file=file@entry=0x4be6b40 "/home/steve/Mail/unsorted.nov", mode=mode@entry=384, flags=flags@entry=0)
    at /home/steve/src/emacs/emacs-master/lib/fchmodat.c:65
#1  0x000000000060cae4 in orig_fchmodat
    (dir=dir@entry=-100, file=file@entry=0x4be6b40 "/home/steve/Mail/unsorted.nov", mode=mode@entry=384, flags=flags@entry=0)
    at /home/steve/src/emacs/emacs-master/lib/fchmodat.c:33
#2  0x000000000060c9e0 in fchmodat
    (dir=dir@entry=-100, file=file@entry=0x4be6b40 "/home/steve/Mail/unsorted.nov", mode=mode@entry=384, flags=flags@entry=0)
    at /home/steve/src/emacs/emacs-master/lib/fchmodat.c:134
#3  0x000000000060cae4 in orig_fchmodat
    (dir=dir@entry=-100, file=file@entry=0x4be6b40 "/home/steve/Mail/unsorted.nov", mode=mode@entry=384, flags=flags@entry=0)
    at /home/steve/src/emacs/emacs-master/lib/fchmodat.c:33
#4  0x000000000060c9e0 in fchmodat
    (dir=dir@entry=-100, file=file@entry=0x4be6b40 "/home/steve/Mail/unsorted.nov", mode=mode@entry=384, flags=flags@entry=0)
    at /home/steve/src/emacs/emacs-master/lib/fchmodat.c:134
#5  0x000000000060cae4 in orig_fchmodat
    (dir=dir@entry=-100, file=file@entry=0x4be6b40 "/home/steve/Mail/unsorted.nov", mode=mode@entry=384, flags=flags@entry=0)
   ter/lib/fchmodat.c:33

This pattern repeated for tens of thousands of frames, then I
interrupted it and typed `c':

(gdb) c
Continuing.

Thread 1 "emacs" hit Breakpoint 1, terminate_due_to_signal (sig=sig@entry=11,
    backtrace_limit=backtrace_limit@entry=40)
    at /home/steve/src/emacs/emacs-master/src/emacs.c:370
370     {
(gdb)
Continuing.
Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault
Backtrace:
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x524450]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x5068e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x522745]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x522772]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x5227cf]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x522895]
/lib/libpthread.so.0(+0x12680)[0x7ffff61a5680]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x2f)[0x60c9db]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs(fchmodat+0x34)[0x60c9e0]
/home/steve/build/emacs-master/src/emacs[0x60cae4]
...

Thread 1 "emacs" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
raise (sig=sig@entry=11) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:50
50      ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c: No such file or directory.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-03-06 built on strobe-lfs84
Repository revision: c996fe1ec69de0082043397d4965d08cb94892fb
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: Linux From Scratch

Recent messages:
Loading /home/steve/.emacs.d/srb/srb-mail.el (source)...done
Loading /home/steve/.emacs.d/srb/srb-elisp.el (source)...done
Loading todo-mode...done
Loading /home/steve/.emacs.d/srb/srb-cal+diary+appt.el (source)...done
Loading /home/steve/.emacs.d/srb/srb-global-key-bindings.el (source)...done
Preparing diary...
No diary entries for Friday, March 6, 2020
Preparing diary...done
Appointment reminders enabled
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-Og -g3' PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/qt5/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2
GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-sum shr svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays
hol-loaddefs face-remap appt edmacro kmacro srb-cal+diary+appt todo-mode
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs srb-recentf
noutline outline pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet
pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile cus-edit pdf-view
bookmark text-property-search pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info pdf-util
image-mode exif srb-emms emms-librefm-stream emms-librefm-scrobbler
emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
mailcap emms-streams emms-show-all emms-tag-editor emms-mark
emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc
advice emms-player-mpv emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple
emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate dired dired-loaddefs
emms-setup emms emms-compat tramp-sh tramp-gvfs tramp-cache zeroconf
url-util dbus xml tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec srb-light-theme paren recentf
tree-widget wid-edit delsel cus-start cus-load srb-mode-line time
flotte-karotte srb-misc derived thingatpt easy-mmode quail help-mode
pcase tex-site info package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 725576 10145)
 (symbols 48 24562 4)
 (strings 32 152593 3058)
 (string-bytes 1 10332720)
 (vectors 16 41284)
 (vector-slots 8 1373571 32340)
 (floats 8 789 129)
 (intervals 56 394 0)
 (buffers 1000 14))