Subject: Re: bug#39940: The variable operating-system-release

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 13:06:22 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't like a situation where some
>> platforms have that variable at the nil value, when a 5-line change
>> can fix that.  It was a surprise for me to discover the nil value on
>> Windows.  But those 5 lines aren't sacred to me, so if we decide to
>> deprecate the variable and eventually remove the supporting code, I
>> won't object.
>
> I have no strong opinion on the matter, but since there are no in-tree
> usages (any more), and the variable seems rather awkward, I've now
> marked it as obsolete.  If somebody out-of-tree actually uses it, then
> reverting the obsoletion would also be fine by me, but I guess we'll see
> whether anybody pipes up.

Would its value be of any use in report-emacs-bug?

Thanks,

-- 
Basil