Subject: Re: bug#39887: 26.3; Customize buffer does not show type expected

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 22:48:29 +0100

[email-masked] writes:

> The title already explains the bug. It would be great if the customize
> buffer shows which type of variable is expected. Although the :type
> keyword is included in the defcustom declaration, it is not shown in
> the customization buffer which type is expected. If the wrong type is
> filled in then the only error message given is "(mismatch)". Quite
> some package writers do not - additionally - document their variables.

The Customize buffer is supposed to be a user-friendly, easy interface
to use, and displaying types like

(alist :key-type symbol :value-type (choice symbol integer))

which only would make sense to a programmer would be the wrong way to go
here.  The Customize interface already tries to guide the users as much
as the type spec allows.

I'm sure there are individual doc strings that could stand improving,
though, in which case bug reports for those would be welcome.  But I'm
closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no