Subject: Re: bug#39886: [PATCH] Add EPA keyserver client

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 21:41:22 +0200

[email-masked] (Philip K.) writes:

> Yes, it implements the protocol and a basic UI. My only issues is that I
> wrote this before I dove in to the EPA source, and realized that it more
> or les depends on GnuPG. And if GnuGP is alreay given, I could just as
> well use it's build-in functionallity for querying the server, without
> having to reimplement it in Elisp.

Hm, yes, that's true...

>> But for this to work seamlessly, your package has to be in Emacs core,
>> otherwise Gnus/rmail can't rely on it as easily.
>
> Couldn't it extend Gnus/rmail externally? Or could Gnus/rmail check if
> it's feature is available?

That's possible, but these things always turn out cleaner and less
breakable if "applications" (like rmail) call libraries, instead of the
libraries extending the "applications".

And checking is always possible, but the user interface is often better
and less fragile if the applications can just rely in the infrastructure
being there.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no