Subject: Re: bug#39885: Bioconductor tarballs are not archived

From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:14:49 -0600

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Cool!
>
> Can we consider that this report is now done?  Because:
>
> 1. SWH supports ExtID and nar hash lookup.
>
> 2. Missing origins are currently ingested by SWH.
>    (via specific sources.json)

I think that would be jumping the gun a little bit.

In some sense, the report is only *done* when “stored” hits 100% (or
close to it, with the remainder being stuff we are pretty sure no longer
exists).  This won’t happen just because of your second point there.
When the historical “sources.json” is loaded, things will be much, much,
better, sure.  Sources will still be missing, though.  To me, this is an
invitation to more subtle analysis, like weighing sources by their
“importance” in the package graph.  Then there’s still shortcomings with
Disarchive that have to be resolved (which is work best guided by
numbers in the report).

Also, it will always be a good idea to verify that things are working.
Ideally this could be simpler (leveraging ExtID lookup) and continuous.

-- Tim