Subject: 28.0.50; macOS blank frame

From: Philippe Spiesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 10:42:28 +0100

Hello

Every week, after updating local repositories (git pull), I build Emacs 
27.0.60 and
Emacs 28.0.50.
Since the 14 of February 2020, everything is OK with Emacs 27.0.60 but
Emacs 28 starts in a window with a blank frame without displaying any
character. Keyboard is active and I quit with Ctrl-x Ctrl-c.

Yet, everything is Ok when running same Emacs 28 in a terminal with command
.../Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw

On the other hand, everything is OK with Emacs 27.0.50

Thinking that it was a macOS problem, I look at the log for the files
src/ns* and I downgrade the repository with the command
git checkout f674c905dc98a4617c40c4bc115462b4ad2ebfc2
and rebuild Emacs 28. So eveything is OK

I can't explain why updates after this commit cause this behavior.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0, NS 
appkit-1561.61 Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G11023))
of 2020-03-02 built on spungen.home
Repository revision: f674c905dc98a4617c40c4bc115462b4ad2ebfc2
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
System Description: Mac OS X 10.13.6

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
Undo
Mark set
Undo
Making completion list...

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr/local/Applications --with-ns=yes'

Configured features:
RSVG DBUS GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
NS MODULES THREADS PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:

None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 45019 7861)
(symbols 48 5930 1)
(strings 32 15241 1747)
(string-bytes 1 505908)
(vectors 16 10150)
(vector-slots 8 126077 6750)
(floats 8 19 44)
(intervals 56 208 0)
(buffers 1000 12))

-- 

	Philippe Spiesser