Subject: bug#39869: python-orator build fails

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 21:41:06 -0400

Hey Marius!

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

> This was a surprisingly deep rabbit hole that ended pretty
> unsatisfactory with commit 51d42caa94515f43d677bdd76d53bf8bb8c7bc4e.
>
> According to a comment in the package definition, the tests were never
> supposed to run, so in the end they were just disabled.
>
> I discovered a pattern that I hadn't seen yet in the Python ecosystem:
> orator and many of its dependencies are no longer using setup.py.
> Instead they have a file called pyproject.toml and calls out to a tool
> called "poetry" to create distribution tarballs, run tests, etc; and it
> apparently also creates a setup.py for the PyPI distribution.

Interesting!

> I did not study poetry enough to figure out how it works, but we might
> need a poetry-build-system or some such if the trend continues.  Mainly
> because all packages using it seem to be stripping tests from the PyPI
> release!  :-/

Yeah.  Or make the python-build-system smart at detecting many
situations (as we discussed on IRC today such as guessing how to run the
test suite).

Thanks for fixing it!

Maxim