Subject: Re: bug#39863: Guile 1.8, apparent segfault on some Macs running Mojave

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 10:38:11 -0500

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 10:12 AM Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Marnen Laibow-Koser <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
> > I'm not sure this is a bug report yet, but it may become one.  I'm having
> > what looks like a Guile segfault issue for some Mac OS Mojave (10.14)
> > users. I've been packaging 64-bit Mac builds of LilyPond, which includes
> > libguile 1.8. The builds work well for myself and for nearly everyone
> else,
> > but one user (on Mojave, as am I) consistently reports a segfault right
> > around the time libguile is loaded; see
> > https://gitlab.com/marnen/lilypond-mac-builder/issues/16 . The LilyPond
> > group hasn't provided much help on figuring out this particular issue,
> so I
> > thought I'd come over here...
> >
> > There's more information in the GitLab issue I mentioned above, but
> please
> > let me know what else would be helpful in diagnosing and fixing this
> > particular problem.  (Upgrading to a recent Guile is not an option right
> > now AFAIK: LilyPond barely works with Guile 2, let alone 3, and fixing
> > *that* would probably be a much larger issue.)
>
> Could you provide a backtrace of the segfault?
>

I’m not sure how I would be able to get any more detailed debugging info
than the logs that I posted in the GitLab issue.  Have you looked at
those?  Alternatively, is there an environment variable or anything that
would get Guile to provide more information when it does segfault?

> Does the problem occur on GNU/Linux as well?
>

I have no way of knowing.  I discovered this issue in the course of
figuring out how to package LilyPond into a 64-bit Mac .app bundle.  I’ve
never run this particular build process on Linux, and I’m not sure that it
would even be meaningful to do so given that the primary point of it is to
make a Mac .app.

> Is it a recent regression of your LilyPond package for macOS?

I’m afraid that question doesn’t have much meaning either: this packaging
is newly developed, so there’s nothing to regress *from*.  What I can tell
you is that it consistently affects one user (and, I believe, on all builds
I’ve so far done with this method), but everyone else has no problems with
these builds, and the user who *is* having problems was able to run the
32-bit Mac builds, but those are built by a somewhat different process.

I know this information is less helpful and comprehensive than we might
like, but since I’m still developing this particular build and packaging
process, there’s very little to go on.

>
> Unfortunately, Guile 1.8 has been unmaintained for several years and its
> code base has almost nothing in common with that of 2.0 and later, so I
> won’t make any promises.

Understood.  Believe me, if I could upgrade to a recent Guile, I would, but
my objective here is mostly to get a working 64-bit Mac build of LilyPond
while changing the code as little as possible. :)

> Thanks,
> Ludo’.
-- 
Marnen Laibow-Koser [email-masked] http://www.marnen.org Sent from Gmail
Mobile