Subject: bug#3985 closed by "Otto Maddox" <[email-masked]> ()

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 16:40:06 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#3985: 23.1; DEL won't delete backwards in terminal

It has been closed by "Otto Maddox" <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact "Otto Maddox" <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
3985: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3985
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

From: "Otto Maddox" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 17:33:17 +0100

It looks like this is due to a bug in an older version of Debian's
ncurses package. See here for more details:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=319554

Therefore, I'm closing the bug report.

-- 
http://www.fastmail.fm - Access all of your messages and folders
                          wherever you are

Subject: 23.1; DEL won't delete backwards in terminal
From: "Otto Maddox" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 01:19:33 +0100

Since upgrading to 23.1, DEL won't delete backwards anymore; instead
it deletes forwards (everything worked fine in 22.3).  I am running
Emacs on a GNU/Linux box, logged in through ssh from the Mac OS X
Terminal.app.  Pressing the key labelled 'delete' on my keyboard
(where 'backspace' often is located on other keyboards) sends ^? to
Emacs through the terminal emulator, but for some reason, since the
upgrade, it's getting translated to <deletechar>.

C-h DEL gives this:

| <deletechar> (translated from DEL) runs the command delete-char, which
| is an interactive built-in function in `C source code'.
| 
| It is bound to <deletechar>, C-d.

This leaves no way to delete characters backwards.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
 of 2009-07-30

configured using `configure  '--without-x''

-- 
http://www.fastmail.fm - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again