Subject: 26.3; Provide better help for menu-bar, e.g., Options > Line Wrapping in This Buffer

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 16:46:39 -0800 (PST)

emacs -Q

C-h k

As one example, choose from menu-bar: Options > Line Wrapping in This
Buffer > Wrap at Window Edge

Buffer *Help* shows this:

 <menu-bar> <options> <line-wrapping> <window-wrap> runs the command #[nil "\203\0\300\303!\210\304
 \205\0\305\306!\207" [visual-line-mode word-wrap truncate-lines 0
 nil toggle-truncate-lines -1] 2 nil nil] (found in global-map), which
 is an interactive compiled Lisp function.

 It is bound to <menu-bar> <options> <line-wrapping> <window-wrap>.

 (anonymous)

 Not documented.

That's nearly useless.  It doesn't take advantage of Emacs or Lisp.

1. Please provide named commands for all Options menu choices.
2. Please try to have *Help* point to the file that defines those
   commands.
3. Please keep byte-compiler gobbledygook out of Emacs help.

Consider this reasonable question, as one point of departure:
https://stackoverflow.com/q/60468217/729907

Yes, there's no satisfactory one-word answer to that user's question,
but s?he should at least be able to more easily track down the code that
provides the option behavior for the current buffer.
As it is now, it's not even obvious that the code is in menu-bar.el.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18362
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''