Subject: Re: bug#39848: 26.3; Provide better help for menu-bar, e.g., Options > Line Wrapping in This Buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2020 10:00:01 +0200

> Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 13:50:16 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > > Command `menu-bar--wrap-long-lines-window-edge'
> > > is precisely the kind of command that a user
> > > might use, either directly or in lisp code.
> > 
> > Why would they, when commands like visual-line-mode exist?
> 
> Same reason they'd use it from a menu.

Invoking a command from the menu doesn't involve naming the command,
it just involves clicking with the mouse and selecting the menu item.
By contrast, invoking commands by name involves typing that name.  And
we already have commands that perform the same operation as this menu
item.  So having yet another advertised command which subtly differs
from those we have already (the differences make sense when you invoke
a command from the menu) makes little sense to me.