Subject: Re: bug#3984

From: Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 16:30:44 -0700

Ok, I figured out how to walk down the stack, identify which frames are 
calls to advised functions, and for each call to an advised function, 
find the position in the stack of the call to the original function 
definition, using the functions in nadvice.el. First, we define:

(defun unadvised-function (func)
   "Return the original function definition of FUNC before it was advised."
   (let ((func (indirect-function func)))
     (while (advice--p func)
       (setq func (advice--cdr func)))
     func))

Then we scan down the stack starting from the very earliest function 
call, looking for functions that are advised (via "advice--p"). Every 
time we find ad advised function, we use get the original definition via 
unadvised-function and then search down the stack for a call to that 
original definition. Then we know to skip all those frames when 
searching for called-interactively. Specifically, we skip everything but 
the call to the outermost advice, since that call will bear the original 
name of the function.

Again, though, this requires a top-down non-lazy search of the stack, 
which is possible but seems to go against the intentions of the current 
implementation that checks frames one-by-one.

What do you think? I'd be happy to work on an implementation of this in 
the next few days if you think it's worth pursuing. But if so, I could 
use your input on the isue of the top-down search.

-Ryan