Subject: bug#39823: 26.3; update-directory-autoloads regression from Emacs 26 to Emacs 27

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 23:13:16 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 12:41:26 -0400
>> 
>> >> I think it could be nice to update update-directory-autoloads to work in
>> >> a lexical setting before closing this bug, though.
>> >
>> > Update how?
>> 
>> Update `update-directory-autoloads' so that it accepts a &key style arg
>> for the ‘generated-autoload-file’ file name.  Currently it must be
>> dynamically bound prior to calling `update-directory-autoloads'.

I investigated that path, but I fail to see how that could be done
safely. &key is a Common Lisp thing that is made available in Emacs Lisp
with `cl-defun'. The original signature of `update-directory-autoloads'
file is:

(defun update-directory-autoloads (&rest dirs)

I don't see how &key can be combined with &rest without potentially
causing problems.

Feel free to close this issue.

Thanks,

Maxim