Subject: 27.0.90; Cannot set *Completions* buffer height using display-buffer-alist

From: Davor Rotim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 15:05:20 +0100

Testing with 'emacs -Q' and the following snippet:

(add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist
             '("\\*Completions\\*"
               (display-buffer-in-side-window)
               (window-height . 0.05)
               (side . bottom)
               (slot . 0)
               (window-parameters . ((no-other-window . t)))))

Seems like the 'window-height' parameter is being ignored and I'm unable
to set the height for the *Completions* window this way.

Switching window direction to 'left' or 'right' and setting
'window-width' instead of height seems to be working with this altered
snippet:

(add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist
             '("\\*Completions\\*"
               (display-buffer-in-side-window)
               (window-width . 0.05)
               (side . right)
               (slot . 0)
               (window-parameters . ((no-other-window . t)))))

The 'window-height' parameter gets ignored only when specifying the
'top' or 'bottom' side.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.90 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.14, cairo version 1.17.3)
 of 2020-02-28 built on nostromo
Repository revision: 696ee02c3a40cf0e19f963cfaf8004ca42f7e897
Repository branch: emacs-27
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12007000
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
(("\\*Completions\\*" (display-buffer-in-side-window) (window-width . 0.05) (side . right) (slot . 0) (window-parameters (no-other-window . t))))
Quit
Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' --prefix=/home/drot/.local
 '--program-transform-name=s/^ctags$/ctags.emacs/' --with-cairo
 --with-modules --enable-link-time-optimization --disable-gcc-warnings'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 44881 10781)
 (symbols 48 6003 1)
 (strings 32 15441 1795)
 (string-bytes 1 513956)
 (vectors 16 9962)
 (vector-slots 8 129161 9124)
 (floats 8 20 43)
 (intervals 56 201 0)
 (buffers 1000 11))