Subject: Re: bug#39822: 27.0.90; Cannot set *Completions* buffer height using display-buffer-alist

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 17:05:37 +0100

> I'm not seeing any adverse effects by obeying the contract:

Neither would I ...

 > -           ,(if temp-buffer-resize-mode
 > -                '(window-height . resize-temp-buffer-window)
 > -              '(window-height . fit-window-to-buffer))
 >              ,(when temp-buffer-resize-mode
 > +               '(window-height . resize-temp-buffer-window)
 >                 '(preserve-size . (nil . t))))
 >             nil
 >             ;; Remove the base-size tail because `sort' requires a properly

... because I'm using 'temp-buffer-resize-mode'.  But IIRC (Juri likely
knows better) completions windows are traditionally fit to their buffer
so people who never use 'temp-buffer-resize-mode' would now be surprised
to not see their completions window fit.  So while we probably can't do
what you propose above, we should be able to _not_ fit the window when
the alist already provides an explicit height argument as in your case.

martin