Subject: Re: Declarative /etc/guix/acl?

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 14:53:24 +0200

Hi,

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
> Hello!
>
>> For some reason, /etc/guix/acl is not declarative on Guix System: we let
>> users modify it and assume it’s stateful, which can surprise users as in
>> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/39819>.
>>
>> Should we make it declarative, just like most of /etc?  I think so.
>
> Yes, I think so too.

OK.

> However, if you have your own substitute server, you now can run guix
> archive --authorize < ..., e.g. at bootstrap/install time.  For such
> cases, IWBN to have a --authorized-key argument to guix build / guix
> system.

There’s already an ‘authorized-keys’ field in ‘guix-configuration’:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Base-Services.html#index-guix_002dconfiguration

So you would just list keys there.  Is that what you have in mind?

The option is already there, it’s just non-authoritative.

Ludo’.