Subject: bug#39817: closed (Re: bug#39817: Using cross compiled .go from amd64 to powerpc64 segfaults)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 00:56:01 +0000

Your bug report

#39817: Using cross compiled .go from amd64 to powerpc64 segfaults

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39817: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39817
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#39817: Using cross compiled .go from amd64 to powerpc64 segfaults
From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
To: dftxbs3e <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 17:55:09 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Using a recent version of Guix, the segfault no longer occurs.  I'm
closing this bug report.

-- 
Chris

Subject: Using cross compiled .go from amd64 to powerpc64 segfaults
From: dftxbs3e <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 02:07:12 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

I built GNU Guix's `bootstrap-tarballs` package which includes Guile 2.2
with `guix build --target=powerpc64-linux-gnu bootstrap-tarballs` and
when I run that compiled Guile on powerpc64, it crashes.

I tried replacing the .go files with natively built ones and it works,
with the same cross compiled copy of the GNU Guile binaries.

I used this GNU Guix's tree:

https://gitlab.com/lle-bout/guix - commit
f47e761a10675b05b07107035d5024618267a3ad

And bootstrap binaries are:

https://gitlab.com/lle-bout/guix-bootstrap/-/commit/8e464405c0ba76b29e11c3b60af4d6ea9c83c188

After that copy of GNU Guix is built, to experience the crash you can
run on a powerpc64 machine:

./pre-inst-env guix build hello

And it will try to run the bootstrap GNU Guile after some time and segfault.

Let me know if I can help in any way with this!