Subject: bug#39817: Using cross compiled .go from amd64 to powerpc64 segfaults

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 00:56:46 -0700

Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> writes:

> What was the architecture of the system on which you ran the command
> "guix build --target=powerpc64-linux-gnu bootstrap-tarballs"?  That may
> help me reproduce the issue.

I realize that the answer to my question was in the subject of your bug
report.  You said you built these on an amd64 system.  That's the same
architecture as my system.

I think I was able to reproduce the bug.  First, like you suggested, I
built Guix using commit f47e761a10675b05b07107035d5024618267a3ad (from
your repo).  Then I ran:

  guix build --target=powerpc64-linux-gnu bootstrap-tarballs

I found guile-static-stripped-2.2.6-powerpc64-linux-gnu.tar.xz in the
output of that build.  I extracted it and used qemu-ppc64 to run it,
which produced a segfault:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ /gnu/store/dilkq36pawdqh050gd09d1incskpqjj7-qemu-5.0.0/bin/qemu-ppc64 bin/guile 
guile: warning: failed to install locale
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I wonder if this is the same segfault you're seeing?

I had to use QEMU because I don't have a powerpc64 system.  Maybe this
will enable me to debug further, even though I don't have any powerpc64
hardware.  I will keep investigating.

-- 
Chris