Subject: bug#3981: 23.1; File Open

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 06:46:09 +0800

Matt COOPER wrote:
>
> I opened Emacs 23.1 in MS Windows to write some Lisp code. When I used 
> C-x C-f
> to create a new file, it brought up the window to pick a directory and 
> create
> the file. However, when I typed in a file name, in this case Pi.lisp, and
> clicked ok, a popup appears that says C:\Lisp\Pi.lisp File not found. 
> It also does this
> when I click the "New File" button at the top of the screen.
> The ability to create a file without having to leave the editor would 
> be nice.

This was reported by Drew yesterday, with unfortunate timing just after 
23.1 was released. The actual bug seems to have been there since April 
and should affect all platforms that use file dialogs that enforce the 
MUSTMATCH arg.

I suggest that as a workaround you remove the customization you've made 
that causes Emacs to use the file dialog even when you use C-x C-f.