Subject: bug#39799: 28.0.50; Most emoji sequences don’t render correctly

From: Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 18:55:24 +0100

Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]> さんはかきました:

> U+24C2 is an Emoji which has both a text and an emoji presentation. See:

Surprisingly, even some ASCII characters are emoji and have a text and
an emoji representation. For example # U+0023:

$ grep 0023 emoji-data.txt 
0023          ; Emoji                # E0.0   [1] (#️)       number sign
0023          ; Emoji_Component      # E0.0   [1] (#️)       number sign
$

Is listed as an Emoji but does not have Emoji_Presentation tag, so
it should usually be displayed as text when not followed by a variation
selector.

$ grep 0023 emoji-variation-sequences.txt 
0023 FE0E  ; text style;  # (1.1) NUMBER SIGN
0023 FE0F  ; emoji style; # (1.1) NUMBER SIGN

When testing this in gedit,

U+23 displays as text using the “DejaVu Sans” font.
U+23 U+FE0E displays as text using the “DejaVu Sans” font.
U+23 U+FE0F displays as an emoji using the “Noto Color Emoji” Font. 

With the “Noto Color Emoji” font this is not very obvious as the glyph
for # in that font looks quite similar to the text version. 

My “emoji-picker” tool displays it the same way as gedit as it also uses
pango, see the 3 attached screenshot showing how it looks like in
DejaVu Sans, Noto Color Emoji, and Joypixels.

-- 
Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>