Subject: bug#39799: 28.0.50; Most emoji sequences don’t render correctly

From: Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 18:14:24 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> さんはかきました:

>> From: Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 12:41:02 +0100
>> 
>> > Q:What about applications that don't support variation sequences?
>> > 
>> > A: Applications not supporting variation sequences should act as if the
>> > variation selector is not present. That normally applies to all text
>> > processes such as searching, sorting, parsing, and so forth.
>> 
>> So probably  Ⓜ︎ U+24C2 U+FE0E should not display U+FE0E as a box, as you
>> say it should exactly display as just Ⓜ U+24C2.
>
> You can control this via glyphless-char-display.  The thin 1-pixel
> space is just the current default, and we could change that default if
> we think it's better not to display the variation selectors at all.
> It's just that the "Emacsy" way is not to conceal any characters from
> the user, so the current default was chosen to follow that.

I agree, not displaying anything at all is not so nice either.
It is nicer if one can find something there when stepping over it and
delete the U+FE0E, that is really more "Emacsy", I think.

Like when I have “AA” (U+0041 U+FEFF U+0041) I can still move the cursor
over that string and find that there is something between the two As,
check what that is, delete it if I want ...  

So a thin 1-pixel space sounds good to me, it does not look ugly but one
can still edit it.

But currently I don’t seem to get a thin 1-pixel space for

Ⓜ︎ U+24C2 U+FE0E

I get a box with a 1 pixel border in the foreground colour (black) and
this box has a total width of 6 pixels. See attached screenshot.

This looks fairly ugly is a bit too much maybe.

You get a 1-pixel space? Is special setup needed to get that or should
I get that by default?

-- 
Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>