Subject: bug#39799: 28.0.50; Most emoji sequences don’t render correctly

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 13:58:11 +0200

> From: Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 12:36:51 +0100
> 
> > You could have the same in Emacs if you define a special face that
> > uses the other font, and then put that face on the sequence which
> > isn't composed using the font selected by Emacs.
> 
> I think I don’t understand that completely. But you seem to say that it
> is possible to make Emacs use different fonts for U+24C2 and the
> sequence U+24C2 U+FE0F ?

It should be possible, yes.  Define a new face, and make that face use
a font that can display sequences like U+24C2 U+FE0E.  Then put a
'face' text property whose value is that face you defined, on the text
containing such a sequence.  This should force Emacs to use the font
you specified for that stretch of text, regardless of the fontset and
the default font.

Given that we don't really see why sequences with U+FE0E are needed,
perhaps requiring Lisp programs which do want to display such
sequences to use a special face is not such a big deal?

> >> (I attached the emoji-representation-test.txt file and how it is
> >> displayed by pango-view).
> >
> > I see only a small image showing the font name, and nothing else.
> > Some problem with sending the attachment?
> 
> Oh, sorry, I apparently clicked on the title bar of the window
> when making the screenshot with the “import” tool. New screenshot
> attached.

OK, I see it now, thanks.