Subject: Re: bug#39799: 28.0.50; Most emoji sequences don’t render correctly

From: Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 22:10:43 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> さんはかきました:

>> From: Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 18:30:12 +0100
>> 
>> U+24C2 is an Emoji which has both a text and an emoji presentation.
>
> I don't think I understand how this fact is relevant to which font
> Emacs selects for a character.  Can you elaborate on the relation?

That means that U+24C2 should display using a black and white “text”
font like Symbola and U+24C2 U+FE0E as well, if possible. But U+24C2
U+FE0F should be displayed with a color emoji font like “Noto Color
Emoji”, if possible.

That’s how it works in gedit for example.

By browsing the emoji data files with Emacs, I noticed that all emoji
which have text and emoji presentations *always* displayed in black and
white for me (Symbola font) even when I tried to set the fontset to use
“Noto Color Emoji” for these code points.

But for emoji which do not have these variants, setting the fontset to
use “Noto Color Emoji” worked.

-- 
Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。