Subject: bug#39797: Emacs crashes when using Noto Color Emoji font

From: Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 18:14:53 +0100

Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> さんはかきました:

>     Mike> As can be seen in the attached screenshot, Emacs can display colour
>     Mike> emoji in the buffer. The screenshot uses the “Joypixels” font (Version
>     Mike> 5.5), but it works with “Noto Color Emoji” as well. I just tested wrong.
>
>     Mike> Some sequences like
>
>     Mike> 👩‍🦰 U+1F469 U+200D U+1F9B0 woman: red hair
>     Mike> 🧑‍🦰 U+1F9D1 U+200D U+1F9B0 person: red hair
>
>     Mike> don’t render correctly in the screenshot, although they work
>     Mike> using the same (“Joypixels”) font in gedit. But that is a different
>     Mike> problem …
>
> Is this with a cairo build or an XFT one? Gedit will almost certainly
> be using cairo.

With a cairo build, I think with an XFT build it could not display these
color emoji fonts at all.

> (Iʼd test it myself, but downloading joypixels
> requires signing up, and Iʼm feeling ornery today).

Joypixels is not needed, the problem can also be seen with Noto Color
Emoji.

I reported a new bug for the emoji sequence display problem here:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39799

In gedit, both “Noto Color Emoji” *and* “Joypixels” can display most
emoji sequences correctly. The latest version of “Joypixels” seems to be
slightly more up-to-date and can display a few sequences correctly which
cannot yet be displayed correctly using the latest “Noto Color Emoji”
(build from current git master) but this affects only a handful of
sequences.

Most sequences display correctly in gedit and I think none of the emoji
sequences displays correctly in Emacs.

-- 
Mike FABIAN <[email-masked]>
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。