Subject: bug#39771: closed (Re: [core-updates] 'guix pull' and './pre-inst-env' produces different derivations)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2020 23:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#39771: [core-updates] 'guix pull' and './pre-inst-env' produces different derivations

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39771: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39771
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [core-updates] 'guix pull' and './pre-inst-env' produces different derivations
From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
To: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2020 18:11:56 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Marius,

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>
>> I've tracked this down to 'gash-boot'.  Namely the use of ,(version): it
>> evaluates to '2.2.6' when run with ./pre-inst-env and "3.0.0" after
>> 'guix pull'.
>>
>> I suspect both are wrong, and that it really intends to use the version
>> of gash here.  Timothy, can you confirm?

Definitely wrong!  I think I had somehow convinced myself that the
version of Gash was available when inheriting but delayed via a thunk.
The fact that it happily returns the current Guile version means that I
never noticed how wrong I was.  Sorry!

>> Currently trying to 'guix pull' with a hard coded "2.2.6" version to
>> see if other instances need changing.
>
> This patch solves the problem without triggering a full rebuild:
>
> [...]
>
> I have another full-rebuild commit in the pipeline (bzip2 currently
> keeps a reference to the Mes toolchain), so we might as well fix it
> properly.
>
> Waiting for confirmation from Timothy as to what the proper fix is,
> though.

It should be using “package-version” to get the versions from the parent
packages.  Fixed in 0b870f7915f5da43758753fd088a22033936dc50.

-- Tim

Subject: [core-updates] 'guix pull' and './pre-inst-env' produces different derivations
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 22:33:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

There is a strange bug on the core-updates branch: if you 'guix pull
--branch=core-updates', everything from around [email-masked]' in
the package graph will have different derivations from what you get in
the git checkout:

On my local fork of core-updates:

./pre-inst-env guix build -d bash
/gnu/store/y834q3sf056hkglpli4gr3ijmpvgzb7c-bash-5.0.16.drv

After 'guix pull -p /tmp/core-updates --url=/my/checkout
--branch=core-updates', on the same commit:

/tmp/core-updates/bin/guix build -d bash
/gnu/store/m3q1w669f7br5cs4admdy5p8rijrjmvp-bash-5.0.16.drv

I believe this is a recent regression (probably the wip-bootstrap
changes?), as I've pulled (and reconfigured) on the branch before.

Any idea what is going on here?